Date of Birth: 02/02/1984
    Current Address: 19 New North Rd.
    City/Town: Islington, N1
    County/State: Greater London

Hair Colour: Red
    Eye Colour: Blue
    Height: 5'6
    Weight: 120 lbs.
    Distinguishing Marks: Ears pierced once in each lobe, burn scar on inner left wrist, some light freckling that gets worse the longer I'm out in the sun without protection.

Please list position(s) for which you are applying:

Kitchen assistant.

Please explain why you are applying for the position(s):

I love to bake and cook, and I'm quite good at it. When I was still with my ex-husband, I did all the baking and cooking at home. I always wanted to open up my own cake shop or bakery of some sort, but pressing obligations at home wouldn't allow it. I don't have a lot of professional experience, but I'm a natural in the kitchen nonetheless.

Why do you feel you would be the best candidate for the position(s)?:

There's no one more eager than I am to learn new skills. I'm quite at home and comfortable in a kitchen and could find my way around one blindfolded. I take direction well and I'm an enthusiastic helper. I'm quite creative and innovative with my ideas and love putting my own personal touch on anything I create. I'm also meticulous and enjoy cleaning. I'd never leave a workstation filthy. There's a lot of room for me to grow and I think Highgrove could put the abilities I already possess to their best use.

Do you possess the necessary qualifications for the position(s) for which you are applying? If yes, please list them below:

Before I was forced to quit my last job, on account of being needed at home, I worked at a child's day care in Manchester, where I helped look after the children in between preparing their meals and snacks. As a teenager, I volunteered in one of Manchester's soup kitchens, acting as a jill-of-all-trades. I did prep work, helped prepare and serve the soup, and often stayed late into the night to help with dishes and other cleaning duties. It was very rewarding work, even if it wasn't paid.

What other qualifications or skills do you possess which you feel will aid your performance in the chosen position(s)?:

Working with children has taught me the value of patience over the years, as well as the time I spent with my ex-husband, who was very particular as to how meals should be cooked and served in our home. I can accommodate any request in a timely and precise fashion, and put all of myself into my work.

Have you worked in this type of position or facility before? If so, where and when?:

As you can see, I have plenty of experience working in kitchens, and with food and children. I understand the children you house at Highgrove are older and more problematic than the tots I once dealt with on a daily basis, but I have an affinity for the younger generation, and feel a warmth toward them that comes across in our conversations and interactions. I have never been employed in a home for troubled children or anything like it, but I believe the transition will be a smooth one for me. I adapt to change easily.

Please describe your most recent employment experiences, including your positions there, company names, and locations:

Child Care and Dietary Consultant, Sunny Day Care, Manchester: July 2006 - October 2009
Sales Representative, Tina's Togs, Manchester: January 2004 - July 2006
Assistant Florist, MacLennan's Flowers, Manchester - December 2002 - January 2004

How do you think your previous education and employment experiences will aid your performance within the chosen position(s)?:

I have no higher education to draw upon, unfortunately, but my employment experiences will undoubtedly aid me at Highgrove. I can take what I've already learned and apply it at your facility, while keeping an open mind to anything new I might be exposed to. I'm adept at making edible arrangements as well as floral arrangements for any occasion as needed, and I'm told I possess a maternal warmth that enables positive interactions with my peers as well as those younger than me.

Please describe yourself to the best of your ability, in only five words. ('And' will not count towards these.):

Patient, understanding, kind, caring, selfless.

What methods would you employ in order to relax during times of stress, and how effective do you think these have been in the past?:

I enjoy baking in order to relax, even if it's part of my day job. There's something about the smell of baked goods that soothes me. I like to sit at the kitchen table with a cup of tea and a plate of biscuits after a long day with some calming music playing in the background. I also enjoy a bit of knitting. I mostly make scarves and blankets for myself. I'm estranged from my family, otherwise I'd make things for them as well. I like to clean, read, or watch films depending on my mood. I find these methods very effective, else I would have changed them long ago.

Please list three traits about yourself that you consider negative, and three traits about yourself that you consider positive. Explain these choices if necessary:

Negative: Self-sacrificing, perfectionist, submissive.
Positive: Polite, hard-working, trustworthy.

Describe one event in your life that you would change if you could, and why:

I know this is going to sound dramatic, but if I could take back the day I met my ex-husband, I would. We met while I was working at Tina's Togs, and while he tolerated the fact that I had a life outside of him for awhile after we were married, he grew increasingly impatient with my work at the day care and my devotion to my family and friends, desiring to have me all to himself. He's a very possessive man and I learned that too late. He made me quit my job and stay at home to take care of the cooking and cleaning duties while he was away at work. Wanting to make him happy, I did whatever was asked of me, eventually losing those closest to me in the process. Things came to a breaking point about a year ago. He was reluctant to let me leave, but we agreed on a divorce and I moved into a flat in Islington a few months ago, after the arrangements were settled and everything was finalized. Many of my dreams went unrealised because of him, so if I could go back in time and make sure that the meeting between us never happened, I would do it in a heartbeat.

If a superior gave you a task to complete, to which you were wholly, morally opposed, what would you do?:

I would do it without question. It's what I'm getting paid for, after all, and I've done many things I'm morally opposed to in the past. It's something I'm used to. I can't say I'm proud of it, but I'm a follower, not a leader, and whatever the job requires of me, I'll do it in order to make sure things continue to run smoothly and I have a place.

If you caught a friend and co-worker stealing from your place of employment, breaking rules, and/or endangering the safety of others, what would you do?:

I would encourage them to stop their behavior. If it continued, I'd find it necessary to go through the proper channels to make an end to it once and for all. Dishonesty and deception are not okay in my book.

Where did you grow up, and what was it like there?:

I grew up in Manchester. I hardly paid attention to it. It was a fine place to grow up, I suppose, but I was too absorbed in my social life at school and my own private fantasy world to pay much regard to what was going on on the outside.

What are/were your social interactions like? Do/did you have many friends and/or relationships?:

I had an older sister, Lydia, who I enjoyed a friendly sibling rivalry with. We rowed often, but that's not too unusual among sisters. She was two years older than me and resentful of the fact that I was more popular with the boys. I always seemed to make friends effortlessly, with people from all walks of life. I never strove to be popular -- it just sort of happened. I got dates without trying, though I never enjoyed them as much as I should have. Parties weren't particularly appealing to me either, but I went to a few just to say that I'd been there and keep up appearances. I also did better at school than Lydia, another thing she hated me for, but as we got older, we eventually became great friends and set our differences aside. Because of David, my ex-husband, I've lost many of the friendships and relationships I've cultivated over the years. He didn't allow me the time to nurture them, and I deeply regret that. I wish I'd had the courage to stand up to him.

What prompted you to pursue the career path you are now following?:

A lifelong love of food, I suppose, that my mother instilled in me from an early age. We were well-off enough to have people cook for us if we wanted to, but she always insisted on doing it herself, and I spent much of my free time assisting her, eventually volunteering in the local soup kitchen once I was old enough to be of some use there. I've always had a head for knowledge. I love learning new things, and getting my hands dirty has always given me a great thrill. When I work, I want to see the results of my efforts, even if they get devoured shortly thereafter. It makes me feel like I've done something good for someone else. Food nourishes and sustains us, after all. We build our memories around it. I like knowing that I've had a hand in the creation of them for others.

Were you ever a member of the armed forces or of a law enforcement or security agency? If yes, please list rank and branch, or company name and location:

No.

Do/Did you ever abuse controlled substances, including but not limited to alcohol, prescription medications, street drugs and tobacco?:

No.

Have you ever been convicted of a crime? If yes, please list conviction(s) and served sentence(s) below:

No.

Is there anything your character isn't telling us? Do you have more information to add about your character that they would not tell the representative about? Please explain below:

As you might have already gathered, there is a lot Layla's not saying on her application. She's told the truth when and where she can, but much of the information has been falsified to protect her identity. All the names have been changed, including her own (her real, married name is Lianna Norton; she had it changed after escaping her husband in late October 2011 before fleeing to London and renting a cheap flat there, living off of money she stole from his secret stash beneath the floorboards of the bedroom closet). Layla's relationship with her husband (NOT ex) was much worse than she let on, and they never actually got a divorce. She ended up fleeing after two years of captivity in the home, and is currently on the run from him. Her work history is true and she has not spoken to family or friends in the years she's spent under her husband Robert's rule. A clever man, he occasionally dictated phone calls or emails to her parents, who moved to the US some years ago, to keep them from worrying for her safety or well-being. Because she was never left alone with a way to communicate to the outside world, they remained oblivious of the trouble she was in.

Robert and Layla met in 2005 while she was still working retail. They had a whirlwind romance. She allowed herself to be swept off her feet, hardly knowing the man at all, and they married in early 2006. He pretended to a loving and attentive husband at first, but as work at the day care became increasingly demanding of her time, as well as occasional outings with friends, Robert's posssessive, controlling, manipulative streak came out by degrees, eventually culminating in him forcing her to quit her job under threat of violence. He gradually cut her off from the outside world after that, taking away her keys and cell phone, and locking her up in the bathroom while he was away at work. Upon arriving home, he would let her out to cook his dinner and do housework until bedtime. She was let outside occasionally to tend to the yard under his supervision. The one time she tried to make a run for it, he ended up dragging her back into the house and beating her bloody. There were several other occasions when he verbally and physically abused her for displeasing him. The scar on her wrist remains as a reminder of the time he burned her with one of his cigarettes.

As a result of all this trauma, Layla hardly knows who she is anymore and is seeking employment at Highgrove in an attempt to start a new life, hopefully where Robert will never find her. Though Robert often forced himself on her in their marriage bed, they were never able to conceive a child, something she considers both a blessing and a curse. She loves children, having worked with them in the daycare, but is resigned to the fact that she will likely never have one of her own. She is eager to make new friends and acquaintances, but quite understandably remains distrustful and wary of men and their motives. There is a romantic streak in her that doesn't want to believe she'll never find love again, but she has a hard time believing anything good can happen to her now that she's been tainted by Robert's influence. She is a bit jumpy, awkward, and skittish with new people after spending so much time with only her husband for company, but genuinely desires to improve upon her depleted social skills, and possesses a gentle nature others are inevitably drawn to.

Character Playby: Bryce Dallas Howard
Player Nickname: Zillah
Chatango Username: zephyr13
Layla Page

$RP Reward Points : 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Layla Page

Post  Nebby on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:51 pm

Full Name: Layla Page
    Position: Kitchen Assistant
    House Number: 8 Highgrove Terrace

Before you begin posting, please be certain that you have completed the last approval steps below. Failure to complete these last steps will result in the deletion of your character during the next activity check.

Nebby
Admin

$RP Reward Points : 30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum