Highgrove Home for Children
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making an exit is just as important [OPEN]

3 posters

Go down

Making an exit is just as important [OPEN] Empty Making an exit is just as important [OPEN]

Post  Wayne Cross Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:55 pm

Wayne was new, it was probably written all of his face in that most suitable way newness always was. It wasn't that Wayne was shy, or nervous of what the other kids would be like. He just had that slightly lost look. It didn't suit him.

A member of staff had been so kind as to show him where his dorm was, and Wayne had wasted no time getting to know his roommates. In fact he'd been so quick getting in and out of that place that he hadn't noticed whether anyone was even there. As he'd left the room that same helpful staff member was hanging about, Wayne had smiled at him given him a brief nod and a 'Cheers mate', before trying to disappear from his view. This place may as well have been a prison for all the damn privacy you got, and he'd have bet all his money it would only get worse. Fucking staff.

It had taken listening to the rules, which Wayne hadn't exactly done, and suffering a 'quick' tour before the boy was able to go about on his own – or as on his own as he ever could in this place. Was it really legal to have this much security? Maybe he would get used to it, or maybe it was simply a lack of supervision in his previous dwellings that made this all seem so over the top.

Fuck it.” Wayne drew in a breath and moved toward one of the many large windows that lined the walls. He'd definitely never been anywhere this posh in his whole life. “I need to get out.” Turning on his heel the adolescent moved through the hall, his shoulders hunched slightly and the hood of his sweatshirt pulled over his head. It was 'the look' where Wayne had grown up, never show them your face, never give them an inch. From the waist down he wore what could have been described as last season's track suit bottoms, if track suits had seasons and his trainers were a few years passed their best, he'd meant to steal new ones but things had got complicated. Maybe he'd find someone here with the same sized feet as him and nick a pair of theirs.

As he walked the hall Wayne let his gaze flit across the walls and ceiling. He was looking for cameras. The first thing his dad had taught him was to find blind spots, everywhere had them, you can't get full footage of every inch of a place. It's just not done. His other task was the lights. His eyes shifted from one light fixture to the next. Some lights go out easily, others are a bit more difficult. Then again if every floor has its own breaker... Wayne caught himself and let out a sigh, why was he casing the joint? Bad habits and all that.

Leaning forward the young man let his hands come to rest on a window pane, his eyes catching sight of something far more interesting than light fixtures and security cameras. Turning his head slightly to the side Wayne stared out at the grounds, now that was somewhere of interest. Outside was definitely a huge improvement. The question now was where the hell was the door. Screw it, who needs doors?

Fiddling with the latch Wayne let out a grunt of annoyance, it was locked. Maybe he would have to ask how to get out there, or worse, whether he was allowed out there. It was as that thought passed his mind that ingenuity struck. Wayne had spied a chair across the hall from him, chairs are perfect for these sorts of things. Jogging across the room Wayne hovered by the chair, smiled at a passing staffer and then hefted the wooden furniture into his hands. With a full body swing the glass gave and Wayne was outside. It wasn't a clean break, nor was it one he could have made it out of the institute with but he was outside.

The grounds were nice. Way different from Hackney with its traffic jams, carbon dioxide and excessive pigeon infestation. There was greenery just about everywhere and what looked like a greenhouse a way off to the side, a stable just ahead and what he figured was a barn. Wayne had never actually seen any of those things for himself, just in films.

Shoving his hands into his pockets the fifteen year old strode forward, his eyes set on the stables. Wayne had always kind of liked the old cowboy movies and wondered if horses were much like they were on TV, in real life. One of his friends had once told him they had shit for brains, and now seemed like a fine time to find out if that was true.

Wayne Cross

$RP Reward Points : 10

Back to top Go down

Making an exit is just as important [OPEN] Empty Re: Making an exit is just as important [OPEN]

Post  Laura Richardson Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:24 pm

Laura had decided that horses were what she was going to see today. She’d meant to go and see horses sooner, but every time she went to see them she ended up chatting to the cows, who were very nice and didn’t seem to mind her at all, but they weren’t horses. Horses were Kizzy’s favourite and Laura wanted to meet them too. She would have gone with Kizzy, but she wasn’t sure where she was right now. She was probably other places, having fun or learning things or being with people. Maybe she was already with the horses. She wondered exactly how like horses cows were, because they both had good listening and nice eyes from what Kizzy had said, but beyond that she wasn’t sure. Horses didn’t have milk though. At least, not that she knew of.

Seeing another person heading in the same direction she waved. She didn’t think she’d seen this particular person before but she could be wrong. There were lots of people here, and lots of those people were boys and she’d been a bit tired when they’d all had to sleep together in the same room because it was dark, but he could be new. Being new was a bit scary, but it was nice if you got to meet nice people. “Hello!” Maybe this person wouldn’t like her, like Faith, but you didn’t know until you talked to people and asked them things and if they hit you or ran away that meant they didn’t like you. Unless you’d asked them to hit you or you were playing tag. Then things were complicated. “I’m Laura. Are you going to see the horses too? Kizzy says horses are nice. They have teeth but they don’t bite you and they’re good for talking to. I haven’t seen them yet, I saw cows instead and they’re very nice. Were you here when all the lights went out?” It might have been simpler to ask if he was new, but she was interested in what other people had done. People had done lots of things, and Laura just sat at the top of the stairs being cold and a bit scared. Kizzy had gone outside, but she was ok, and Faith had gone somewhere and all the people had done things. Even things that weren’t allowed, she’d heard.

Bouncing along behind the boy, she decided he was nice. This wasn’t really a difficult decision to make because all people were nice except her, which made everything simpler. “What’s your favourite animal?” Then she decided to get the strange scary awkward bit overwith so she could find out if he’d mind or throw her shoes in a tree. Climbing up was fun, mostly, but climbing down was harder. “I’m evil by the way. So touching is bad because people can die and get hurt and everything and it’s not good. Do you like clouds?” She gnawed determinedly at her nails and looked up at the sky, tripping on a hole in the ground. Managing to regain her balance, Laura decided perhaps it would be better to look at the sky when she was standing still, and maybe now would be a good time to check her feet were doing things feet were supposed to do. Like walking.

She pointed “That’s where the cows live, over there, and they have chickens too and Faith gets to collect eggs which I like but she doesn’t and she let me help one time. I’m in the same room as Faith, and Kizzy and Beth and Ellen and Maggie, and they’re nice. They let me play a game with them except Kizzy didn’t want to play… do you know who you’re in a room with? There was a nice boy called Ira but he went home. They won’t let me go home though, because they say it’s different.” She was aware she was babbling, but she wanted this person to like her, he seemed all nice and he was going to see animals and everything. Maybe he wouldn’t like her. She decided to stay quiet for a bit, jumping over the odd hole in the grass. They weren’t big but they were easy to fall over if you were like her and didn’t see things. Especially if you weren’t too good at shoes. She only wore shoes here because they said she had to and if she didn’t someone might touch her, but she didn’t like shoes. They seemed unnecessary, especially when there was nice grass under your feet. And shoes pinhed your toes and sometimes they had heels on them that made you walk like half a ballet dancer all the time and they made your toes hurt. She knew because other people she knew wore them and then they said their feet were going to fall off.
Laura Richardson
Laura Richardson

$RP Reward Points : 53

Back to top Go down

Making an exit is just as important [OPEN] Empty Re: Making an exit is just as important [OPEN]

Post  Dr. Maxwell Rose Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:46 pm

Max liked to think of himself as a patient, understanding man. He had his limits, as did everyone, but it generally took a lot of purposeful pushing for him to reach the breaking point. In fact, very few people had seen him properly angry and he’d like to keep it that way. By nature he wasn’t the shouting, raging, chest beating type but it was more than that. He had to have the resolve and discipline to keep himself cool even when the situation unfolding around him might be boiling over. Being a psychiatrist in a home full of troubled children required it. He could not afford to fly off the handle or let anyone know if they’d gotten under his skin. If he were simply the type to snap at the slightest offense he’d not only be doing the children a disservice but he’d be out of a job in minutes. He knew that these children would be rough around the edges and in need of guidance. So it was up to him to remain level headed in the face of chaos and try to keep order. Max was proud to say that he had been able to keep himself under control despite the ups and downs Highgrove had thrown his way over the last month.

But everyone breaks. Max was not quite there yet but the lid on the pot was most certainly beginning to rattle with the building pressure inside. As previously stated, it took a lot to push Max, but there were certain acts that seemed to bypass rather long length of the fuse and drop the match right near the heaping pile of dynamite soaked in kerosene. Deliberate destruction of property for absolutely no reason at all seemed to be one of them. Some would argue that it was sub conscious cry for help. Why else would someone do something as noticeable as break a window with a chair? The halls may have been momentarily empty but the rooms that lined both sides were most certainly not. Glass shattering with such force would be heard, likely throughout the house, and would attract all sorts of attention. People don’t sit idly by at the sound of a window breaking so it shouldn’t be a surprise that anyone in those nearby rooms flooded into the hall to seek out the source of the disturbance. Unfortunately for Wayne, one of them was Dr. Maxwell Rose, the head of household. Wayne’s little display of aggression had interrupted him reviewing the boy’s file and as he saw the back walking away from the window the match was dropped.

The radio that was clipped to Max’s belt was yanked off and he called security to meet him at the stables as he handed off the file he’d been holding. He had no idea who the boy was walking away, if it was the new kid or not, but if it were any of the veterans of Highgrove they must be really losing it. If Dr. Bjorgen hadn’t intimidated them into behaving then it was very likely that nothing ever would. Max hopped out the busted window and began a brisk walk across the lawn in pursuit of the little vandal. That’s when the girl joined the boy’s side and Max couldn’t help but roll his eyes. He’d so far built himself a reputation for being the nice guy, especially compared to others. And now he got to likely be the bad guy even though the little shit had smashed a window. This poor girl needed to get away from him before she was the next thing left broken. “Both of you, stop right there.” He called out as he gained on the pair, ready to break into a run if necessary. He had no idea now this would go down but his gut said poorly.
Dr. Maxwell Rose
Dr. Maxwell Rose

$RP Reward Points : 56

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Cross Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:30 pm

Wayne caught sight of the girl waving out of the corner of his eye. He expected she'd seen some friends but when he turned to look there didn't seem to be anyone else around. Ignoring her, the teen continued on.

When the sound of footsteps drew up behind him Wayne let a low sigh escape him. He'd have bet a place at Arsenal that she'd been waving at him. It wasn't so bad, he could tolerate some company and while nine times out of ten it was ridiculously dangerous for females to partake in Wayne's company he wasn't an addict, he didn't think of sex every second of the day. As it were he wouldn't have minded walking up to the stable with his new stalker and having a nice chat with her, it was the damn shrink who said he couldn't connect with girl. Well god damn it, he'd show them.

As the girl spoke Wayne turned his head slightly to look at her and let his hands fall from his pockets. A small smile played on his lips and he gave her a slight nod of greeting. What Wayne then discovered was that this girl talked, and she talked a lot. Now don't get me wrong, Wayne had his moments of unbelievable violence but he could also be charming, funny and relatively friendly. It was just that darker, uglier side of the boy you never wanted to see.

It turned out the bouncy, smiling stalker was called Laura. A rather common name and one Wayne wouldn't struggle to remember. “Laura huh.” Wayne spoke in a low voice, not really addressing his companion. “I'm Wayne.” The minute he'd got his name out though she was talking again, about horses and lights going out and something about cows. Wayne couldn't have feigned interest if he'd been the best actor in the world, but he did find the girl rather entertaining. Coming to the conclusion that if nothing else, she'd be a laugh.

Scratching the back of his head in a mixture of amusement and confusion Wayne shook his head, “Nah, I just got here today – but yea I planned to go visit with the ponies. Never seen horses for real before.

Wayne knew he was handsome, and he knew that generally he carried the air of a confident and well adjusted kid – or as much an air as anyone can. Maybe that was why the girl felt she could just come up to him and start rambling away, or maybe she was just as insane as the conversation she was trying to have sounded.

The girl's next question was what he might have expected from his youngest brother and Wayne chuckled slightly. He'd made up his mind on this girl, she was like a little kid, and despite what other people might say about him Wayne wasn't interested in having any kind of physical relations with a little kid. “I like Crocs.” He shrugged as though he might have to explain his reasoning, “Gotta appreciate an animal that knows how to use its environment.” It might have been a rather cryptic explanation but Wayne knew what he meant, and he'd be damned if she needed to know.

As the two continued walking Wayne was brought to a dead stop by Laura's next words. She was evil. Looking at her, he wouldn't have believed that. In fact hearing the things she said he wouldn't have believed it either; but then who was Wayne to judge? Her explanation made what she was saying even harder to believe and as she asked her next question Wayne shifted his gaze skyward. “They're alright I s'pose.” Turning his head Wayne studied his stalker. The pair were on the move again and she was rambling on quite happily about her roommates and some boy she knew who'd left. That caught Wayne's attention, leaving was possible. The she was talking about how she wasn't allowed to leave, different situation and Wayne drew his attention back to the stables. They'd nearly arrived.

Twisting round Wayne took a step out in front of his 'friend', blocking her path. “You know Laura, I'm evil too but sometimes bein' evil isn't all that bad.” He then rolled up one sleeve of his hoody. “You say bad things happen when touchin's involved right, well I wanna see.” Wayne stretched his arm out and opened his hand turning it palm up – it was as he did that, that he heard the man's voice.

Wayne's initial reaction was to run, that was what he'd been taught. You're doing something you shouldn't and you get caught, you run like shit and don't look back. He could feel it in the pit of his stomach, the instinct to flee. What about Laura though? Why did he care? Well you don't abandon your partner do you. Making a split decision Wayne shifted his gaze to the teacher, doctor, whatever he was and he lifted his other hand and gave the man the finger. After which he turned back to Laura. “If you take my hand now I'm gonna take you away from that guy who wants to shout at us, and we'll go see the horses together. You up for that?

Wayne Cross

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Richardson Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:37 pm

Laura giggled and waved again, sort of instead of a handshake. “Hello Wayne. You have a good name, it sounds nice.” He was probably very nice. She was sure because he wasn’t her and he hadn’t sucked her brain out with a straw. People were less good when they did that, but not many people did. Well… nobody she could think of actually did. Maybe she’d seen it and got muddled or something. Maybe it was something Uncle Kenneth had watched on telly… It’s what it felt like when psychiatrists and psychologists and other brain people poked around in her head though. They all wanted something and Laura was never sure what it was, let alone the right answers to all their questions. They always said ‘hmmm’ and wrote on some paper. On the one hand it could be about her, but Laura liked to think they were writing a story or something interesting.

“I saw horses once before I think… they were in a field when we drove past to go and hide from people, and I had to shh and lie down but I could see them out of the window. I think I saw them other times but I don’t really remember properly…” She thought hard. She’d seen a lot of things when they were driving but most of them had been the sky or tall trees. The horses had been close and there was traffic, so that’s why she could see them. “Have you ever seen a real crocodile? I didn’t, but they have teeth and pretend to be a log and they never ever let go. That’s what the telly said. And they open their mouths when it’s too hot, but not when they’re holding onto things. I think.” Giving a moment to consider these two pieces of information, she decided it was likely that crocodiles didn’t grab things when it was hot. Maybe they liked their food cold so it didn’t make their teeth feel funny. And they did have a lot of teeth. If they had toothbrushes they’d need to be very long and maybe curved because they only had little arms. “It must be funny having your eyes on the side of your head like that. What if there was something right on your nose and you couldn’t see it? And they don’t have big arms, so it would be hard to get off…”

Giggling, she stopped beside him and did a small imitation of a crocodile trying to get something useen and tickly off it’s nose. It involved jumping and flapping and lots of shaking her head. The fact that she might look like a strange pink bird with a particularly bad case of the hiccups and a very strange yellow cloud around their head didn’t occur to her. “I like clouds. They’re sort of white and fluffy, like sheep but quieter. Unless there’s a big thunderstorm. Then they look like a greyish toad in the hole in a microwave. Did you know you’re not supposed to put metal in the microwave? It makes blue lightning. I didn’t know that…and then I did.” But only after a few people got panicked and started grabbing at things. She didn’t know, she hadn’t used a microwave before. Uncle Kenneth didn’t trust them, and she’d thought it was sort of like a roundy roundy sort of oven and she couldn’t work out how to get the real oven to make fire, and she’d had fun listening to the buttons and the whirring noise that made it sound a little like a spaceship until Jenny walked in and had a heart attack and made it stop. Then people had shouted a bit and she’d gone and hid under the kitchen sink when they’d gone to stop other people killing each other because she didn’t like shouting, and then they couldn’t find her and got worried but then she came out and everything was ok, and the next day there was a big sign about not putting metal in the microwave. It hadn’t said anything about eggs though. She’d given Jenny another heart attack when she found that out.

Stopping again, Laura bounced a step back just to be safe and put her head on one side. She knew he couldn’t be evil because he was nice. And because he wasn’t her. At least, not that she knew of. “No… I don’t think you’re evil. You’re nice. And you like crocodiles. And you’re friendly and everything! I’m the only really really evil one in the whole world and that’s lucky because I had my uncle and he knew everything about everything and other people don’t but sometimes it makes me sad and I have to be very careful with things. Like touching and sleeping… and friends. I have to be careful to not have bad dreams which is hard because I don’t know I’m having them until I am and then I get scared.” While she knew this wasn’t exactly the sort of reply that would have been normal, it made sense to her. There wasn’t really a way of putting it… why did this boy think he was evil? He seemed really really nice. He even let her come and see horses with him! Staring at his hand like it was about to bite her, she put her hands behind her back and shook her head. “I’m not allowed. I don’t want you to die, it’d be bad and I like you and people would be sad and lots and lots of bad things would happen. I might make all the lights go off again…”

Turning, she saw a man. He was running, for some reason. Should she warn him about the holes? She couldn’t really remember where all of them were, though. But she didn’t want him to fall and get hurt. She wasn’t sure what Wayne was telling the man, maybe that they’d be there in one minute they just had to go and look at the horses first. That would make sense. She waved at him and smiled. He seemed quite upset… Considering, she nodded at Wayne. She didn’t like shouting. “Ok. But… no touching, ok?” She felt a little bad, but she’d sort of told the man they were ok, so maybe he wouldn’t be worried any more. And she did want to see the horses. And she’d sort of made a friend… sort of. And maybe they could go and see the chickens and cows and things after the horses? The man knew they’d be ok, wouldn’t he? She was trying to be good. Maybe they believed her now? But it’d still be alright to see horses. Maybe this man wanted to see as well. He wasn’t really really cross was he? She really didn’t like shouting. It made her ears hurt and then she’d have to go and hide and she didn’t know all the hiding places yet, especially not the outside ones. Laura’s fingernails found their way back into her mouth. She wasn’t sure if she’d decided the right thing but she didn’t want to do the other thing either. He was probably just worried in case it snowed again or in case she touched someone, and she wasn’t going to. That’d be it. Her heart didn’t need to thump any more, it was going to be ok… maybe.
Laura Richardson
Laura Richardson

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Maxwell Rose Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:22 pm

As Max crossed the lawn, his pace gradually picking up from a brisk walk to a light jog, he was reminded of why he’d never gone to work in a proper institution. The clinic he’d worked at saw patients by appointment with only a few cases that stayed for the day as part of a treatment plan. No one remained in the facility after it closed in the evening. So at the end of the day he put his work to bed and then was able to enjoy the rest of his evening mostly stress free. He’d had unstable patients while working at the clinic, some downright dangerous, but they weren’t a part of his everyday life. He saw them once, maybe twice a week. This made Highgrove a double edged sword. He enjoyed being able to work with his patients whenever necessarily but he was not only dealing with them. He was left to watch over all who passed through the main doors and at any given time there could be a dozen incidents of residents acting out. As only one man, the pressure of potentially having to be in so many places at once was surely steering him toward an early grave. It was hard to count the grey hairs since coming to Highgrove since he was already well on his way but each morning Max was sure new ones had turned on him.

After reading the new boy’s file, and now recognizing him as he turned, Max could only assume he was in for another long afternoon. And here he had hoped today would be even the slightest bit stress free. So far there hadn’t been any serious incidents that required his attention. So perhaps God was telling him that he couldn’t get too comfortable. He had been in the room right next to the window when it had been smashed and he’d been in the process of reading over the culprit’s file. If this was some kind of joke the universe was playing on him he did not find it funny in the least bit. He couldn’t hear the students talking from the distance he was at but everything in him said they were going to make a break for it. So he decided to use this to his advantage. He couldn’t hear them talking at a normal volume which meant they wouldn’t be able to hear him either. His pace slowed from a job back to a steady, with purpose walk and the radio came back out. “Mr. Fitzwilliam, if you’re at the stables I need you to intercept two residents that may be heading your way. A boy and a girl. They’re to be held until myself and security arrive. The boy is potentially dangerous.” He felt he should warn the stable master of the potential risk to himself. Wayne had broken a window after all.

“You can help yourselves by stopping now. If you run it’ll only make things worse for the both of you.” Max’s voice rose to carry over the snow dusted lawn to the ears of the two residents. He didn’t want to threaten but it seemed to be getting to that point. Both were seculison bound if they ran for it. Wayne was done for no matter what he did but the girl still had a chance. He’d seen her walk up after the fact so she was an innocent bystander. However, disobeying authority and running away when told to stop would result in disciplinary action. Laura, if she ran, would likely spend a few hours in there at most. If at all, really. He may just sit down with her and discuss what she did wrong. Wayne, as previously stated, was done for. It would be up to Dr. Bjorgen as to how long he’d be in there but it would most certainly be for more than a day. Maybe two. The radio that had lowered away from his mouth came back up to place another call. “I need security to the stables now.” And the radio went back to his belt. He needed free hands in case he had to give chase and it would be difficult to maneuver hypodermic needles full of lorazepam with a radio. He had no issue sedating the two if the make a break for it. He had back up on the way but both would go down if he had to.

Once again, Max was reminded of why he’d stayed with only individual patients on a weekly basis. He missed the office setting, the buzz of the heater, the whirl of the overhead fan, and the idle chatter of the receptionist in the hall. He thought of his leather couch and all the patients it had held while he worked with them. He missed the hour to hour work and the occasional break when the day was slow. Highgrove was a twenty-four/seven work week and he very briefly wondered if this was for him at all.
Dr. Maxwell Rose
Dr. Maxwell Rose

$RP Reward Points : 56

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Cross Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:42 pm

All the while Laura spoke to him Wayne had one eye on the man. He watched him slow down, watched him take out a radio and speak into it – he was probably calling security. Wayne saw two options, they went to see the horses and got caught at the stables, no doubt the man would continue to follow; or, they gave themselves up and maybe never got to see the horses. The real question was, are horses really worth it?

Switching his attention so it was now fully on Laura, Wayne grinned. “Right. No touching.” He slipped his hands into his pockets. “Can't really risk something bad happening can we.” His smile grew slightly and he winked at her, “Don't wanna get in trouble.

Turning on his heel so he once again faced the same direction as Laura, Wayne started walking. That grin of his, still plastered on his face. Maybe if the fifteen year old had known what to expect of HighGrove he would have done as he was asked, then again maybe it just wasn't in his nature. With a glance over his shoulder, and speaking loud enough for their pursuer to hear Wayne called out. “We're goin' to see the horses. Sod off for a bit alright?” Turning back Wayne knew his arrogance would get him into trouble, but he had yet to face an adult who frightened him.

Laura seemed pretty keen about the horses, and everything else that went on. She was bubbly and excitable but in the same way as a puppy or a kitten, than an irritating girl. It was such that Wayne struggled to think of her as a girl at all, she was just... a Laura. “You know my Granddad used to keep horses, way before my old man was born. One of my mates reckons they're thick as anythin', but they can do tricks right?” Wayne shrugged. He probably sounded as daft as her. “I figure they've gotta have some brains to do that.

Wayne should have been keeping his eye out for the gentleman who had taken a dislike to his window smashing, but he was pretty content to just let things unravel. He was gonna get in trouble, and since he had nothing to lose what was the point in not just carrying on? If he'd let the guy catch him he'd have faced some kind of discipline, it was no great leap then to simply carry on and accept the greater punishment. Besides, it would only take a few more minutes and they'd be at the horses anyway.

Wayne Cross

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Richardson Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Laura smiled at him, bouncing into a walk again. “I don’t like trouble. I don’t mean to do things wrong but I don’t know it’s wrong until after I’ve done it. It’s scary, I don’t know what people do. I know what happened when I was bad before but now I don’t know because they don’t like lots and lots of strange things. Like not sitting on tables and they want you to sleep in a bed all the time!” She presented this as if it was the maddest thing she’d ever heard. In a way it was. She’d slept in a bed sometimes when she was little, but then they’d moved and there wasn’t a bed for Laura, which was ok because even then she hadn’t been very good at staying in them. For some reason other people really, really liked beds. As far as she was concerned they were good for bouncing on but not much else.

Now Wayne had told the man who was shouting where they were going, Laura thought that was the end of the problems. (She was sure the man was nice, but he was shouting. She didn’t like shouting, it was scary. What were you supposed to do? She always ended up running away anyway, only this time she got to see horses.) She hadn’t heard the window break, she’d been too preoccupied with everything like the cold and snow and flowers. She hoped there would be flowers soon. She didn’t understand why there was a man running after them. Maybe he wanted to join in?

“I saw on the telly that you can get horses to let you do gymnastics on them sometimes, and they like carrots. And sugar. I don’t know what any of my grandads did. I don’t think I have any, but I think they were probably nice.” Keeping up with Wayne and bounce-walking over rabbit holes had taken her mind off the upset shouty man behind them. “Do you think the horses like people? Maybe they teach us how to do tricks.” She giggled, gnawing at her thumbnail.

“Do you like chickens too? They have lots of animals here, and they have gardens and woods and everything. It’s like the whole world only made smaller and without tigers or lions or polar bears.” She thought for a second. “Well, I haven’t seen any. Not even when it was really snowy. I like watching polar bears, but It makes me sad when they eat seals and beluga whales and things. I know they’re all carnivores and they don’t have anything else to eat, but I like those animals too…” It made her feel worried sometimes. “Do you think they’ll have a tesco in the arctic soon?”
Laura Richardson
Laura Richardson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down